Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kathleen's Summer Creations

The summer of 2010 has taken me on the most amazing journey. I grew up believing that although there were many artistically talented people in my family, my talents lied elsewhere. That was until I found my medium, precious metal clay.

I first learned about PMC in May 2009. While traveling in England, I found a simply elegant strand of pearls with a beautiful heart pendant and matching earrings at Vinegar Hill, a boutique in Bath, England. I purchased the set with the hope of finding out how the artist had created such texture in the silver. I found the answer in a beading magazine I purchased while in England. It was made from precious metal clay! An online search led me to the PMC Guild. I took my first class in August 2009, and the rest is history. The International PMC Conference, held at Purdue University, was the high point of my summer of learning. There I was able to meet many of the people I have read about and done business with. I also reconnected with all of my previous PMC instructors. PMC Connection offered many pre-conference classes. I chose three:Level I PMC Certification – Ruth Greening, Pine Needle Casting – Sharon Gillespie, and Figure Sculpture – Vera Lightstone.

I learned so many new things from these classes, that there is not enough time to do them all. I met many new friends, including Mia Zoll, who took me under her wing and shared her knowledge, contacts, and experience. She lives across the country in Florida, but we plan to keep in touch and share our jewelry making experiences. Mia also makes beautiful glass beads.

The PMC Conference was beyond my expectations! I learned more in a few days than I would have in a year. I met many talented artists who work in this medium and hope to take classes from them in the future. I also purchased several pieces of art to wear from renowned precious metal clay artists.

My summer of learning has not ended. I am traveling to Cornwall, England at the end of August to visit with our friend Val Hawkins. While in England, I plan to work on new creations and reconnect with a few of the artists I met at the PMC Conference. I would also love to meet the creator of the elegant necklace that inspired me to try precious metal clay.

Kathleen

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Pictures - we need to get pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KTS- so now I need to know about the Cornwall trip. Did you find the artist of inspiration?

    Thank you for sharing the pmc secret with us. I love the photo galley and see some things at per lei I'd like to talk to you about. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete